Monday, April 14, 2008

The End is Near for Mama

I just thought I'd let everyone know that the hospice nurse gave us serious news today. She said that she thought the end is near for Mama. She's not a doctor. But she does have a lot of experience, and she says Mom is exhibiting signs that she is ready to pass on. It was probably harder for her to deliver this news than it was for us to hear it. She was very emotional when she delivered it to us.

It has been very emotional for us since initially receiving the news. My sister & I have already shed a few tears, and there are probably more to come.

I thank all of you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for our family.

I was listening to the podcast for a radio show this weekend called "60/20 Sports." It is hosted by James Carville & Luke Russert (the son of NBC News Host Tim Russert). Their guest was Dick Vitale, and he was talking about his favorite charity, The Jimmy V Foundation for Cancer Research. He said he recently had another friend die of cancer, and that father's young daughter was their grieving. Vitale was there to be with the family, and the one thing that the young daughter said to him was, "Cancer sucks!" I think I'd have to agree.

5 comments:

Matt said...

I am really sorry to hear that Philip.

Unknown said...

I am with Matt. I am sorry to hear your discouraging news.

Anonymous said...

Philip its been a long time since we've spoken but I wanted to drop a comment on your blog.

I have also recently lost my best friend to leukemia. Nothing ever makes sense in the moment, nothing ever seems fair in the moment. I don't think we can ever see the full path God has for us or the full reason he does things. Our minds are far too simple to understand or to see his full perspective. I guess thats where faith and trust come in. Sorry to hear about your Mama, I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Chad Billy-Steve Pknicholson said...

After your post on comforting the suffering, I'm not sure how to respond appropriately in the blog format. Consider this comment my "being there and being silent"...

Mark said...

We'll continue to keep you in our prayers. I'm really sorry about the whole situation. May the Lord bless you and keep you...

Mark