Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Takes Longer Than I Thought

I haven't felt very normal since Mom's Memorial Service. In fact, honestly, I've been a little depressed. I haven't wanted to blog much lately because I've been worried that I'd be Donnie Downer.

But I had a good talk today with a couple of my friends in ministry. Apparently, this whole mourning deal takes longer than I thought. I'd rather not be lethargic, disinterested in most things, and mopey. I'd rather get back to normal. But it is part of the process apparently. And the process lasts awhile.

I didn't realize that. I knew that folks generally take a year to begin to fully move on -- there's always those first holidays to deal with (first Christmas, first Mother's Day, etc.). I just hadn't ever really, fully conceived that each day would be so blue.

Just a little FYI for everyone out there who hasn't grieved before & would expect everything to be all back to normal within a few weeks...

2 comments:

Matt said...

That is so normal and healthy. I think that is part of how God made us to be and it is good for us to fully experience emotions as strong as the connection we had with the loved one we lost. Celebrate, mourn, reflect, smile, cry...whatever it takes to experience the full range of emotions that show just how important she is to you.

Mark said...

Hang in there, buddy. When Carolina's mom died, it took her a long time to get over it. Some days you laugh a lot about good memories, and other days you cry a lot about new memories that won't be made with her in them. But God is still good, and life will go on. Process it however you need to. This was a huge loss for you, even if you saw it coming. I'm thankful that you had a mother who loved you and helped you become who you are.