There is something about being a sports fan that makes you inherently myopic & narcissistic. I recognize this and am aware of this, yet I cannot help but notice some strange occurrences that passively involve me in some way. Consider the following:
• On my Ballpark Pilgrimage, I usually rooted for the home team, but there was one game where I rooted for the Red Sox in an away game. Along the way, the teams I rooted for went 2-8 in ten games. In the first game I watched at Fenway, the Red Sox lost their first game at Fenway since May 1st.
• I showed up late to my game in Philadelphia at Citizens Bank Park. When I got to the game, I spent an a couple innings just walking around and checking out the stadium from different perspectives. When I finally got to my seat, I realized that the Phillies pitcher was working on a no-hitter. The very next inning after I had sat down in my seat, the no-hitter gets broken up.
• Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis set a major league record for consecutive games at first base without an error earlier this year. When the error-less streak came to an end, guess who was there. Not only that, but he also committed ANOTHER error the next day. And, yes, I was also there for that one.
• Three days before I saw the Cardinals play, Albert Pujols injured his calf and went on the DL.
• Two days before I saw my first Red Sox game in Baltimore, David Ortiz injures his wrist and goes on the DL.
• One day before I saw the Cubs play, Alfonso Soriano broke a bone in his wrist and went on the DL.
• The night I saw the Indians play, Victor Martinez injured his elbow and went on the DL.
I thought of all of this tonight while I was watching the Red Sox/Diamondbacks game on ESPN. I had been watching the game in one particular room. I got up to go use the restroom, and then I began watching the game in another room in my home. All of a sudden the Diamondbacks scored two runs off of Red Sox ace Josh Beckett. I immediately went back to the original room, but it was no use. D'backs beat the Sox 2-1.
I wish I was making this stuff up.
Remember My Chains
1 month ago