Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Favorite Quotes About Heaven

I like to collect quotes. I used to be more deliberate about filing & organizing my favorite quotes, but I still enjoy finding good ones. So, the following are quotes from song lyrics, Scriptures, movie quotes, or other sources that say something interesting about Heaven -- what the world thinks, or what I find profound.

We all wonder about Heaven. For something that seems to be such a big part of our future, the Bible spends very little of its text trying to describe Heaven. So I like to listen to how others imagine Heaven. If you have any good ones to add, leave it in the comments section.


(From the movie "The Green Mile")

Arlen Bitterbuck: Do you believe that if a man repents enough for what he done wrong, than he'll get to go back to the time that was happiest for him and live there forever? Could that be what heaven's like?

Paul Edgecomb: I just about believe that very thing.

Arlen Bitterbuck: I had a young wife when I was eighteen. We spent the summer in the mountains, made love every night. After we would talk sometimes till the sun came up, and she'd lay there, bare breasted in the fire light... that was my best time.


(From the movie "Field of Dreams")

John Kinsella: Is this heaven?

Ray Kinsella: It's Iowa.

John Kinsella: Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven.

[John starts to walk away]

Ray Kinsella: Is there a heaven?

John Kinsella: Oh yeah. It's the place where dreams come true.

[Ray looks around, seeing his wife playing with their daughter on the porch]

Ray Kinsella: Maybe this is heaven.


(From Mercy Me's song, "I Can Only Imagine")

Surrounded by Your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for You Jesus?
Or in awe of You be still?
Will I stand in Your presence?
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine.


(From Romans 8:18-25 [NIV])

18I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. 20For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.


(From 1st Thessalonians 4:17b)

And so we will be with the Lord forever.


(From Bebo Norman's song, "Rita")

But the finest moment that no man can measure
Is to look your Savior in the eyes

So take her tender to Your table
Take her from this killing floor
To taste the water that is forever
Let her be thirsty no more

[...]

And the God that sometimes can't be found
Will wrap Himself around you


(From Jennifer Knapp's song, "Visions")

They're looking for the peace that passes all understanding,
In a world crazed with fear.
They say that I am much too demanding
To want a better place than here.

So I'll go unto visions
The prophets gave to me
And I'll dream of Heaven
The promise in which I believe.


(From U2's song, "Where the Streets Have No Name")

I want to feel, sunlight on my face
See that dust cloud disappear without a trace
I want to take shelter from the poison rain
Where the streets have no name


(From Ephesians 3:20 [NIV])

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us


(From Revelation 21:4 [NIV])

There shall be no more pain


(From John 14:1-3 [NKJV]... my personal favorite...)

1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is possibly my favorite out of all your posts so far, Phillip. I think about death and I think about hell and the afterlife in general quite a bit. However, I do not have the appreciation for Heaven that I should, nor do I spend enough time thinking about what it will mean. Thanks for the encouragement!

And, as you have shared, so will I. My favorite extra-Biblical writing about Heaven, as it were, comes from C.S. Lewis' Narnia chronicles. After reading this post, I re-read the last several chapters and found many great quotes. Here I will post the most concise. I urge anyone who has not read these books to do so immediately.

"I've a feeling we've got to the country where everything is allowed."