Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An Out-of-the-Park Thanksgiving Sermon

I love analogies and metaphors: they help lend meaning and perspective to elements of life that are sometimes hard to wrap your mind around. One of my favorites is how I judge my preaching & teaching performances by comparing them to a baseball at bat. No matter how good you are, you can't hit a homerun everytime. Sometimes you're going to strikeout: it happens! Anyway, some sermons connect and some don't. This one that I preached Sunday connected right on the sweet spot.

I've been thinking a lot about this notion that American Christians are dual citizens: members of the Kingdom of God, but also Americans. No less American, and no less Christian. Kingdom citizenship certainly holds a place of dominance over our deferent, temporal American citizenship. But both citizenships exist together: sometimes in unison, sometimes in tension.

This sermon appeals to both of those notions in the context of Thanksgiving. I tie together the stories of the Pilgrims & the Israelites, and bring it full circle at the end in a way that I could just feel resonate through our auditorium on Sunday. I'm sharing this because it's just the most exciting sermon I've preached all year: it's blessed me & my church family immensely already.

Anyway, have a looksy. Maybe you'll find some material worth sharing.

No comments: