Thursday, November 20, 2008

New Christmas Music

I've been cheating. Ever since the weather has started to turn cooler, I've already started to break out the Christmas music. Sue me. Anyway, while I was picking up a book at the local Family Christian Store, I was fortunate enough to pick up Third Day's new album ("Christmas Offerings") on sale for FIVE BUCKS. How awesome is that?! And it's really good stuff!

I typically tend to react in an annoyed way when I hear the tunes of old hymns given a make-over. But I love what Third Day has done with some classics like "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and "Joy to the World."

The one that is echoing around my cranium this afternoon is "O Holy Night." I don't guess I'd ever really explored the lyrics before, but they are rich! My favorite part is where the music begins to swell at the bridge & chorus following the 2nd verse...

     Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
     Let all within us praise His holy name.

     Christ is the Lord! O praise His Name forever,
     His power and glory evermore proclaim.




Hit up your local Christian store, or iTunes, and check out this great music. Third Day always seems to deliver solid albums. Southern Rock just never goes out of style. (g)

Plus, I have a soft spot for the lead singer because we have an added "tribal" connection. Mac Powell is a Birmingham native, and grew up a huge fan of the Crimson Tide. Love that guy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool, I have thought of buying it. I just recently bought 3 copies of the City on a Hill Christmas album. I'm loving it - and have 2 Christmas pressies lined up. They cost me A$8 each which was also a great price.

Chris Donlan said...

I agree Phil. Third Day is a great band. Check out Sufjan Stevens' Songs For Christmas. You will not be not be disappointed.

Unknown said...

I bought this cd last year, and grew to really like it. I like that it is not "overdone". I think the way it is done allows for nice meditation on the message.

Good buy!