Saturday, June 24, 2006

Papi

Man.

I just watched David Ortiz hit another game-winning hit -- a 2-run homer to dead center in the bottom of the 10th. It didn't matter that Tom Gordon had just thrown two filthy, biting sliders that made Ortiz look like a Little Leaguer trying to check his swing. With two strikes, the centerfield cam zoomed in on Big Papi, and I swear he had that look in his eye. When I saw that look, I got giddy. Then Gordon hung a breaking ball just enough, Papi stayed back, put the bat on it, and drove it out of the park. And then Fenway went into a frenzy.

The man is simply unbelievable. In the history of baseball, is there anyone else you would choose to have at the plate with the game on the line other than this guy? I can't think of anyone. It's like being the Bulls fan in the '90s when you know that if you can get the ball to Jordan he can sink the game winner. Or being a Pats fan and knowing that if you can get the ball into field goal territory, Adam Vinatieri can drill that field goal.

How do I love this big lug? Let me count the ways.

No comments: