Because I have an opinion, and because Bob has no idea what he is doing, I'm introducing my Power 12. I doubt that I'll update it every week. But we've played enough football by now to begin judging the talent, so here goes.
Oh, and it's 12 because 'Bama has 12 National Championships ... in case you were wondering. ;-D
1. Ohio State -- Because they're consistent. Because they're supremely talented. Because they have a head coach who has done the deed before. And, quite simply, because I'd look stupid if I put anyone else in this spot.
2. Michigan -- Strength of schedule isn't all that great, but they are consistently winning comfortably. If they keep it up, it will be clear sailing until their showdown with the Buckeyes.
3. West Virginia -- They destroyed the reigning SEC Champs in the Sugar Bowl last year. Rich Rodriguez is an offensive guru ... and should be getting all the man-love that ESPN reserves for Urban Meyer. The Mountaineers are legit.
4. Florida -- They have looked good so far. Their test this weekend at Auburn & the annual Cocktail Party will be tough obstacles. But if they hurdle them both, I'll have to bump them up to #2.
5. Southern Cal -- They need to get their Booty in gear. Literally. Still, supremely talented & superior athletically to anyone they will face this season before the bowl game.
6. Tennessee -- SEC East is back on top with a couple SEC West Flops courtesy of Auburn & LSU. The Vols were unstoppable Saturday night against a good, athletic Georgia defense.
7. Texas -- Along with USC, Florida, & Ohio State, the only other school that legitimately recruits nation-wide. Dripping with talent & athleticism. Should roll through the rest of the Big XII.
8. Clemson -- Best offense in the ACC. And they have the best running back duo in the nation in Davis & Spiller.
9. Notre Dame -- Will win out at least until they face USC.
10. Auburn -- They were embarrassed by Arkansas. They will be fired up for the Gators.
11. Louisiville -- Some might think I'm ranking Bobby Petrino too low. However, no defense + playing with backups at QB & RB forces my hand.
12. LSU -- I'd put Cal here, except that SEC fans laugh at that prospect when you consider how they were manhandled at Tennessee. Have played pitiful offense in their two big early road tests (Auburn & Florida), and subsequently lost. Still, they may have the most talented roster of anyone in college football, so that's why they hang on here.
Knocking on the Door: Cal, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Missouri, Nebraska, and dare I say Rutgers
3 weeks ago