Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Rays Will Fall

Friday night, Mike Lowell returned to the lineup by smacking a homer in his first at bat. Josh Beckett returned to pitch 5 innings and, for the first time this season, look like Josh Beckett. And the Sox are now just 2.5 games behind the Rays in the AL East.

Hope is alive! I suspect that this will be a fun month of baseball in that division. I should have probably written it here, but I guess I didn't quite have the coconuts to go so far out on a limb in public. But here's an E-mail I wrote this past weekend to my buddy Jordan, who's a regular reader here & can vouch that this E-mail is true & accurate:


Subject: Calling a Top‏
From: Philip Cunningham III
Sent: Sun 8/31/08 9:46 PM
To: Jordan Powell

Alright, here it is. August 31st. Rays have a 5.5 game lead on the Red Sox in the East. They play all but 10 of their remaining games on the road.

* This will be the largest lead they keep on the Sox from hear on out.
* The Red Sox will come back & overtake them to win the East.

I'm putting it out there. In stone. Or, at least to the extent that E-mail can be considered stone...

Philip III

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed in us."
Romans 8:18

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud to say that I basically live on the same street as Tropicana Field, just about 5 miles away. Go Rays!

Sara said...

Boyyyyy, I am looking forward to the series starting tomorrow (especially after TB's loss today!). And I may be hoping that game excitement will spark early labor so Baby can enjoy this month of AWESOME games.

Anonymous said...

coconuts. hahahahahahahaaha.