Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Never Knew...

Before today, I never quite fully understood the power of presence. But I do now. There were lots of folks who came to memorialize my Mama today who I hadn't seen in ages, or even EVER seen. A gentleman who was friends with my parents 30 years ago, and who I'd never met, came to spend the day & pay his respects to Mama. One of Mom's best friends from high school drove five hours this morning to get here and then drove five hours to get back home tonight.

I've always heard folks say to me at funerals, "Thanks for coming." I always thought that that was what they were supposed to say. But with seeing so many folks who loved my Mom & love our family, I didn't know what else to say. It was truly touching. And it was a great comfort. If you were one of these people: Thank You.

The service & dinner reception came off really well. Many people commented how much they enjoyed & appreciated how well Daniel eulogized my mother. He did an outstanding job. It was a mighty fine day.

No comments: