Friday, January 04, 2008

Reality Imitates Art

My favorite movie of all-time is The Shawshank Redemption. There is even evidence of this fact in an old blog entry, as well as other Shawshank thoughts that I've peppered throughout other entries.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'm not going to apologize for giving away one of the major plot points. The warden commits suicide by putting a gun to his throat & shoowing himself through the head right before he is about to be arrested. One of the more memorable lines of the movie is delivered by Morgan Freeman's character, "Red," as he narrates the aftermath of the warden's suicide:

Red: I'd like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than that bullet, was to wonder how the hell Andy Dufresne ever got the best of him.

OK, now that you're aware of that, you may or may not remember that my old college room-mate & blogosphere buddy, Jordan, wrote about an eerily familiar prison break. Well, the story took a tragic twist. The prison guard named in the escape note committed suicide.

Nevertheless, I found a little humor in a couple of lines, perhaps ill-spoken or ill-written, in the CNN report:

"Everything I understand, he did nothing wrong," said attorney Michael J. Mitzner, who spoke to Zurick [the former guard] on Monday. "It's hard to know what goes through someone's head."

Mitzner did not have Zurick's cause of death.

I think I know the cause of death... (G)

No comments: