Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Should We Watch This?

Bill Maher has made a documentary called "Religulous" ...



And he sat down to talk about it with Larry King...



Bill Maher usually makes me so angry. And when it comes down to it, I'm not sure if I want to subject myself to his 2nd-gradish, bullying brand of "Ha Ha Ha! You're so Dumb" humor.

You should understand that Maher is an agnostic (or as Colbert calls them, "an atheist without balls") and hates religion. Not only does he hate religion, but he seems to really have it in for religious people. And he has taken that vitriol and tried to turn it into a Michael Moore- or Borat-type of money-making reservoir for himself.

I'm not an advocate for burying our collective heads in the sand. But I also don't think that this is a guy that deserves my money or my attention. This film will no doubt spark a lot of controversy when the release date nears, and I imagine Maher will gleefully hope that that translates into a boomer box office return. I just don't think that I'll be one of the ones purchasing a ticket or a DVD.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

I can't help but think of Romans 14:19 when I see this. I have to ask myself, isn't there something better that I could be doing? I certainly think that my money could be spent better as well as my time.

Now I also think this brings up the topic of 1 Peter 3:15 which calls us to be ready to give an answer "to everyone who asks you". I bet you anything this movie takes full advantage of those who are not prepared. Now the end of the verse uses the oh so necessary phrase, "do this with gentleness and respect". We can't forget that.

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to get too excited about this because I don't see it being really groundbreaking. Talking about organized religion is going to make some people very angry all of the time, because there are some very bad things that have been enacted through the tool of organized religion. Some people it's going to make angry all the time because of security; they see any rocking of their religious boat as a challenge to the inherent goodness of their ancestors or themselves.

I watched Ben Stein's Expelled when it came out in theaters. It came up very short in terms of delivering the argument (which wasn't all that bad) in a balanced, fair, and professional manner. I expect this movie will be much the same, just on the other side of the coin.

I don't expect many people who are on the fence about God or spiritual issues will be swayed by this movie. Many people who are vitriolic about religion already will see it and nod their heads, just as many people who are vitriolic (but 'religious') will go see other movies that endorse their point of view.

I will spend my time trying to act like Jesus regardless. If I find that seeing this movie offers me a method to do that (say a non-believer wants me to watch it with them or wants me to respond to it), then so be it.

III said...

Lloyd, I do think that movies are a big part of our culture's modern parlance. You may be right that this mockumentary may only be like a small pebble in the ocean, and not make a real impact. But like you said, I think it's important to at least be in tune so we can represent Jesus in a relevant way.