Friday, August 01, 2008

My Comprehensive Manny Entry

I have little doubt that Peter Gammons has been a mouthpiece in public for the Red Sox Front Office's views. And he's really summed it up well from my perspective, too. So, that said, here's Gammons this week on Manny:

How & Why Manny Was Acting Out

Why He Had to Go

And other various sundry thoughts...


I'll remember the good times with Manny. 2004 World Series MVP. Helping to take us to the promised land twice. The potent Manny/Papi connection in the lineup.

But in the meantime, I'll be rooting for Manny to fall flat on his face Nomar-style. His level of selfishness represents to me everything that is evil & wicked. I want Manny to ultimately wish he would have hung around to get his $40 million from the Red Sox. I want this to be a lesson to every future would-be free agent who thinks they can throw a fit to get their way & get top dollar. So that when a future athlete thinks of acting out and being selfish, he will think of the cautionary tale that is Manny Ramirez.

So, right now? I guess you could say that I think as highly of Manny as Johnny Cash did of San Quentin. However, like I pretend the Yankee years never happened with my boy-hood hero Wade Boggs, one day I'll try to forget the bad times & fondly remember "Manny being Manny."

No comments: